Our colleagues at Seniors Helping Seniors Harrow hand picked this Mother’s Day gift guide. We are delighted to extend a special Seniors Helping Seniors discount with sincere thanks to Unforgettable and designed2enable
With Mother’s Day just around the corner (Sunday 26th March), we’ve compiled a list of some fantastic gift ideas, designed specifically with seniors’ needs in mind.
Most of the items listed here are £30 and under, and as an added bonus our friends at both designed2enable and Unforgettable are generously offering our community a 10% discount on orders made on their sites. For designed2enable products, just use the promotional code SHS10 at checkout; for items from Unforgettable, use the promotional code WELCOMESHS10*.
Let us know if you try and love any of these products – we’d love to share great reviews with others in the community!
*This is a 10% off order, can only be used once, customer must be logged in, no minimum order value, can’t be used with other codes, and voucher expires April 30 2017.
Dressing to impress
(From left to right: 1. Compression socks; 2. Claudia jersey top; 3. Long-handled shoe horn)
- These stylish compression socks (designed2enable, £22.95; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off) look great and will help keep legs feeling energised by increasing blood flow through the circulatory system.
- The gorgeous Claudia jersey top (The Able Label, £47.50) makes for easy dressing with its ‘EasyFasten’ velcro fastening down the front of the tshirt. Coloured thread (lime for left, red for right) inside the top makes finding and getting arms into armholes easier. You can read more about the thinking behind The Able Label’s range and reviews of some of their clothes in a recent issue of the Alzheimer’s Society’s magazine, Living with dementia.
- This long-handled shoe horn (designed2enable, £7.95; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off) reduces the need for bending and stretching to get booted up, and comes in three beautiful designs. At such a good price, we’d be tempted to have one of each!
A helping hand at home and in the garden
(From left to right: 1. No bend pet bowl feeder; 2. Pill organizer and water bottle; 3. Mobile gardening seat; 4. Extra-wide scooping trowel)
- Keep furry friends happy as well as their owners with this brilliant no bend pet bowl feeder (designed2enable, £14.95; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off). The height adjustable handle allows you to select the right height for you, removing the need to bend and thereby reducing risk of falls.
- This combined pill organiser and water bottle (designed2enable, £17.95; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off) is both sleek and practical, allowing you to store daily pills to keep by the bed or easy chair whilst also having water to hand for ease of taking.
- This mobile gardening seat (designed2enable, £29.95; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off) allows you to scoot around the garden with ease. It comes in a fun range of colours, and the seat below the tray is removable for ease of transporting tools or disposing of garden waste.
- The ergonomic handle on this extra-wide scooping trowel (designed2enable, £12.50; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off) is designed to maximise leverage and minimise stress on the wrists, making it ideal for older gardeners. The sharp front blade is great for shallow digging, and the serrated edges will cut through roots of bagged garden material.
Engaging the mind
(From left to right: 1. Aquapaint – In the Garden set; 2. 35-piece Spring Stream jigsaw; 3. Count and Stitch set; 4. Scentscape – At Home set)
The below activity gifts, all available from Unforgettable, are designed specifically to improve quality of life for people living with dementia, by stimulating the mind, sparking memories and prompting conversation with carers and loved ones.
- Aquapaint products use cleverly designed painting sheets to enable the user to create a piece of artwork using just one material – water. As water is painted on to the sheet, a colourful image appears that then disappears as the water dries, allowing the set to be used time and again. We love the Spring theme of this In the Garden set (Unforgettable, £12.49 if you’re buying for someone with dementia and eligible for VAT relief, £14.99 otherwise; use promotional code WELCOMESHS10 for an extra 10% off); others in the range include At Home and At the Seaside.
- Jigsaw puzzles are great for dexterity and stimulating conversation, although many mainstream puzzles are complicated by too many pieces. The engaging scene in this 35-piece Spring Stream jigsaw (Unforgettable, £12.49 if you’re buying for someone with dementia and eligible for VAT relief, £14.99 otherwise; use promotional code WELCOMESHS10 for an extra 10% off) provides plenty of discussion prompts; other puzzles with fewer pieces are also available in the range.
- Sewing can engage the brain through counting and pattern making, and is great for maintaining coordination whilst also being therapeutic for many people. This Count and Stitch Set (Unforgettable, £25.00; use promotional code WELCOMESHS10 for an extra 10% off) includes 40 pre-punched cards, tapestry needles and 20 balls of coloured yarn as well as design sheets, so is ideal for use in a group or for a committed individual sewer!
- The unique Scentsape products combine scents, smelling jars, and a CD of sounds all grouped around a theme, with the aim of stimulating personal memories and conversation. The nostalgic feel of the At Home set (Unforgettable, £24.99 if you’re buying for someone with dementia and eligible for VAT relief, £29.99 otherwise; use promotional code WELCOMESHS10 for an extra 10% off) may strike a warm note with older recipients. You can read how this and other similar products were reviewed by a panel of people living with dementia in the current issue of the Alzheimer’s Society’s magazine, Living with dementia.
Getting out and about
(From left to right: 1. Folding walking stick; 2. Drop-me-not walking stick and crutch holder; 3. LED light; 4. Blue badge permit holder)
- The floral design on this folding walking stick (designed2enable, £26.50; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off) will turn heads wherever you go! It is lightweight and height adjustable, folding neatly to fit in a bag or glove compartment when not in use. If you’re not sure what to look for when selecting a walking stick for you or a loved one, check out the great tips in this blog from Seniors Helping Seniors UK and designed2enable.
- If you’re constantly having to bend to pick up a walking stick that has fallen over, the Drop-me-not walking stick and crutch holder (designed2enable, £14.95; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off) could be a great solution for you. The holder can be screwed to a wall – by the door, a chair, or your bed – within minutes, meaning you’ll never have to scrabble around on the floor again.
- Another great accessory for walking stick users, this LED light (designed2enable, £18.95; use promotional code SHS10 for an extra 10% off) attaches neatly to most sticks and canes, providing a powerful beam to guide you to the bathroom at night without disturbing others in the house.
- Display your blue badge with pride with this stylish permit cover (The Able Label, £18.00) – available in three gorgeous designs. The Hologram Safe© feature ensures the hologram on the permit remains undamaged, and each wallet comes complete with a plastic cog timer allowing you to display time of arrival at each stop.